POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Surprise! : Re: Surprise! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surprise!
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Nov 2007 07:30:35
Message: <4733016b$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I find it rather bizare that electronic properties should actually
>> affect optical ones, but there we are.)
>
> Well yeh, what's light?

It's a phenomenon that has something to do with electricity, magnetism,
waves and particles, but nobody really understands what exactly. ;-)

Specifically, light is an electromagnetic wave (or is it a subatomic
particle?) in a particular frequency range (or is that particle energy?)
that registers in our eyes due to the chemical transformations it
induces in certain protein groups.

However, it's really damn unusual for a material's electrical or
magnetic properties to have any bearing at all on its optical properties.

* Impure water is an excellent conductor, while pure water is a very
good insulator. Yet both substances have almost identical optical
properties.

* Iron is highly magnetic, while aluminium isn't. Good luck telling the
two metals apart by their appearence!

* Electricity does not, under any remotely "normal" conditions, produce
light or affect it in any way. (E.g., you can't bend light using
electricity.) The same goes for magnetism.

Sure, theoretically they're related. But it's not something you see in
the real world very often. ;-)

(I still can't figure out why you can use an oscilator to make radio
waves, but not light rays...)